Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Japanese New Year tradition part 2

Hatuhinode(the first sun rise) picture from here


A Happy New Year everyone!
I DO wish you all start wonderful year 2013☆☆☆

*New year flower arrangement*
This is the new year flower arrangement I did last year end. We decorate them inside of the front door or Tokonoma (alcove). So sorry for arranging my own way, "haha I've never learned" and poor picture, , p;)



*Shimekazari "しめ飾り"* 
On the porch of the entrance door of the almost all the house, these shimekazari is decorated. (rather cute and gorgeous, haha) form this page.  It has the same role as the shimenawa from the Shinto shrines - to keep the bad spirits away as well as welcoming God. You can read more detail from this page.










*Year-Crossing Soba-Noodles 
We have a custom eating year-crossing soba-noodles 「年越し蕎麦」 for new year's eve dinner.  For most Japanese families, having this soba-noodle with family member quietly at home means to greet a happy next year. There are several theories for how this custom started like the link explains, but the most popular one would be "wishing to have a thin long happy life" year-crossing noodles (link) 
(Commonly, Soba-noodle not Udon-noodle. Mine doesn't look tasty but home-made soup is yummy, hehe) 
    My Kake-Soba (with soup type and different from the one in my soba link) 
(cooked beef, mushroom and processed-fish and so on are on top)

























*Osechi (New Year Dish)
Osechi-ryōri (御節料理 or お節料理) are traditional Japanese New Year Dish. The food are put into special boxes called jūbako (重箱). There are various BEAUTIFUL ones. Although pictures (from pc) are rather gorgeous than my late Mom's old-day's home-made one, I DO remember my Mom making these dish and helping her; enjoyed nibbling while cooked, haha. And after she passed away, my late bro bought rather expensive one and brought to us with father and ate all together.    Oh, how I reminisce these days...


So sorry for my long post today and I know my old friends are already familiar with this topic(^^;)  Thank you very much for reading♡♡♡  Visiting you after come back from the shrine.

No comments: