Monday, October 28, 2013

"Daimyou-kago,大名籠"

    I'd like to tell you what these things were for in our history today.
They were the carriage used to carry land lords during the Edo period (1603 ~1867) 
when Japanese society was under the rule of the Tokugawa shogunate. 

Can you see the lord in the little carriage?  Land lords at that time had to go back and forth between Edo (around Tokyo district) and their domains under the system called ‘alternate attendance' every other year .  The feudal government were forcing them to use money to avoid rising in revolt.


These were the carriges for common people. There was a job carrying people with them. I'm not sure if they could afford to use them so often or not. 
It was enjoyable and helped me to know how was our old days watching historical drama with my family.



I have noticed that there were no way knowing the size of the carriage to answer my question for you. I've noticed that I caused you a bit confusion. I'm sorry about that.

No comments: